Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Son's Going Away Party and My 1st Quilt of Valor Quilt

This morning I completed the handmade invitations to my son's going away party.  He starts Marines bootcamp on February 11th so we are having a little party for him with a few of his friends and a few adults who have watched him grow up over the last several years.  It will be about 25 people.  I'm really having fun doing this for him and I think he's eating it up.  He is the kind of person who needs people to make a fuss over him, but you can tell this he likes.  I am so proud of my son and the decision he has made to serve our country.  Of course I have water works off and on, but that's okay.  I'm a momma!

On another note, there is an organization called Quilts of Valor Foundation that makes quilts for our military and our veterans.  "The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover all combat service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor."  It's really neat.  They have donated 80,298 quilts since November of 2003.  I came across their site just before Christmas.  This is what they do: Someone purchases the fabric and makes the topper.  They keep a journal of what is going on in their life and the work on the quilt as they go along.  Then they send the journal and the topper to another person who donates the batting and backing for the quilt and then quilts it.  Then the quilt and journal gets sent back to the first person who puts on the binding and attaches a label on the back.  A presentation case is made for the quilt and the quilt is sent for presenation.  They say the for the men and women who recieve them, the journal is as precious as the quilt itself.  I KNEW I had to do this! 

I also knew that my first one needed to be for a very special person because it would be my first quilt.

Yesterday I purchased some fabric for my first Q of V quilt.  I'm giving it to my friend's brother who is getting a medical discharge from the Army after fifteen years.  He has been through so much and I wanted to give him something to let him know that there are those who really appreciate the sacrifices he has made.  I found the above quilt posted online.  I think it is really neat and his sister said he would love it.    When mine is done, I'll be sure to post a picture.

No comments:



I have said these things unto you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
~John 16:33