Sunday, February 9, 2014

But for the Grace of God

Last night our electric went out.  The electric company came out and told us that the master breaker to the house was bad.  In fact, we'd had a fire inside of the box at the pole.  At first I considered us "lucky" that it hadn't back fed to the house and burned our home.  Tonight however, I feel differently.  The electricians just finished the major repairs and I called our electric company to come out and get the power back on.  She informed me that the crew was already on their way to our area; they were heading to a house fire to shut off the electric and would be at our place as soon as they finished.

Couldn't help but cry as I thought about about the people watching their home burn.  I thought about the people here at the hotel who are here because of house fires, which is problem during the winter months with all the space heaters.  We met one of them last night when checked in.  As I thought of what total strangers are going through at this very minute and prayed for them with tears, I remembered something my daddy use to say, "But for the grace of God, there go I."

But for the grace of God, we could have lost our home.

We had thanked Him for there being just two non-smoking rooms left at the only hotel in town.  We thanked Him for the electricians who were able to come out today.  Now, I am thanking Him for sparing our home.  While I will continue to pray for those who have lost so much these winter months, I will keep in the forefront of my mind the Amazing Grace that the Lord, for some reason, showed us last night.

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  ~ I Thess 5:16-18

No comments:



I have said these things unto you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
~John 16:33