Friday, August 21, 2009

Psalm 1 - Communing With God

In my growth out of Religious Christianity, where I tried to fit into a mold created by a set of "rules" perceived from the Bible, to a Spiritual Christianity, where I am guided by the Holy Spirit, I've head a few personal revelations. This is one of the most recent.

I had spent the last few weeks waking to various praise songs in my head and heart. Each morning the first thing I did as I awoke was thank the Father for giving me another day. As I went about my morning on one particular day singing and working around the house, I found myself just talking to God off and on. I wasn't on my knees (for which there is definitely a time, place and reason and something I enjoy), I was just saying things like, "Lord, it is so beautiful outside.", "Lord, it's amazing the way you make chicks hatch.", "Lord, it's comforting to feel you." These are all things we say to each other during the day, but I was sharing my feelings and thoughts with the Lord. I was feeling such peace and contentment and a overall feeling of joy.

That was when I felt this blossom in my heart. I had been singing Psalm 1 over and over again in my mind for several days:

Blessed is he who will follow the Lord,
he will not stand in the path of sinner,
he will not sit in the seat of the scoffer,
but the law of the Lord is his delight.

In His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree planted by waters.
He will bear his fruit in its season, his leaf won't die.
In whatever he does, he will prosper.

I had been drawn to and was mulling over the reference to "meditating day and night". In my Religious Christianity view I had often wondered how one could do this without being a Monk! I mean, how can you spend the entire day "meditating" on the Lord and His words when there are other things to be done?!

Well, it hit me that morning that I WAS meditating day and night! I just had to get away from my definition of "meditating" (think transcendental) to a definition more akin to "communing". Many people like to go for walks outside to "commune with nature", which is to say, surround yourself with it. When I go through the day singing praises, reciting Scripture in my mind ("I have hidden Thy word in my heart that I may not sin against Thee." - Psalm 119:11), and talking to God throughout the day as I would a friend, I am doing exactly what the Psalmist wrote about!

My

1 comment:

Marci said...

Hello there. You left a message on my blog and asked about how we built our movable chicken pens. The plans are on this page. http://userpages.bright.net/~fwo/sub10.html

Just scroll down. :)



I have said these things unto you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
~John 16:33